Not sure if you heard, but this past week our corner of the World got slammed with a pretty good winter storm. We wanted to make something super hearty and easy to reheat in the event we lost power. We never did (fortunately) but now we have a huge pot (not kidding, this recipe will feed 10+ people) of this amazing chowder!Continue reading Recipe: Mountain Corn Chowder
Summer is quickly fading away, and as the shadows get longer earlier, and the grill is in the dark faster, it is time to start thinking of ways to make fresh, hearty food.
I also can’t think of a better way to serve Gardein’s new Fishless Filets.
Any Massachusetts native worth their salt knows about Jordan Marsh and their amazing blueberry muffins. For people in the other 49 states, here is a summary: Jordan Marsh (pronounced in Mass. as Joadan Maash) was a department store in and around New England. There is some interesting history here. And here.
Some stores had bakeries inside (like Nordstrom’s today) and their blueberry muffins were sought after. Not too long ago, the baker that made the muffins leaked the recipe, so I knew we had to veganize it!Continue reading Recipe: VEGAN “Joadan Maash” Blueberry Muffins
Of all the vegan food staples out there, I feel the humble soy curl gets a bad rap. Basically, there is nothing that sounds good or enticing about a “soy curl.” Yet as many vegans know, these nutritious, easy to store, easy to prepare curls are amazing meal starters and replace chicken in almost any way.
Make sure to create this amazing vegan dinner when your family is craving an asian-inspired junk food night!
When campin’ or Jeepin,’ there isn’t anything better than a nice warm, hearty meal – especially one that is super yummy and easy to make.
One of my favorite camping sandwiches is this BBQ Chicken sandwich courtesy of Beyond Meat!
You’ll need a whole pack of Beyond Meat chicken strips and whatever else you like on a sandwich (avocado, lettuce, toms, Veganaise, etc). Grab your favorite BBQ sauce too.
One of my fav dinners to make is something I threw together a long time ago. We had a few different vegan meats left over and I wanted to combine them into a hearty dinner.
This vegan pasta bake is easy, hearty, and makes great leftovers for work.
This is no joke: Earlier this week, we went to New Seasons to buy a package of Beyond Meat‘s newest product – Beyond Beef. Each place we looked however did not yet have Beyond Beef. So when I arrived at home, I was so surprised to find a package on my porch – a freezer pack from Beyond Meat! They sent me two retail packs – one of their “feisty” flavors, and one of the standard “beefy” flavor.
So tonight we decided to use the feisty version for taco night. This is a super easy, delicious dinner that easily fed 3.
What we included:
- 1 package, Beyond Beef (Feisty)
- Daiya Cheddar Vegan Cheese
- Tofutti Sour Cream
- Organic Black Beans
- Black Olives
- 1/4 Onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Avocado, cubed
- Refried beans
- Tortillas and taco shells
- Cayman Jack “Margarita” (optional)
First, combine the Beyond Beef, corn, black beans, garlic and onions in a frying pan. Brown slightly.
Second, build your tacos!
This was our first time trying the new Beyond Beef. The second we put it in the pan, we could recognize a difference from all other ground up beef crumbles. It was more substantial, and had a great color and texture. It cooked easy and uniformly.
In the tacos, the Beyond Beef was delicious – adding its own flavors. Beyond Beef is an awesome new addition to the vegan crumbles market, and I look forward to using it in many other dishes!
This recipe is from one of Melanie’s fav blogs, Oh She Glows. Photos are mine from tonight’s cooking session!
Tonight Melanie whipped up some amazing vegan lasagna and I thought I owed my vegan friends a yummy recipe to get us through this cold, snowy snap in Portland.
This lasagna is amazing!
First, whip up your cashew cheese:
Yield: ~1 cup
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 30+ mins
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or water (or more as needed)
- 1.5 cups fresh basil leaves (lightly packed)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (gives the cheese flavour)
- 3/4-1 tsp kosher salt (or to taste) + freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder (optional)
1. Drain and rinse soaked cashews. With the food processor turned on, drop in your garlic cloves and process until chopped. Add in the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth, scraping down the bowl as needed.
Preparing the Lasagna
2. We used 2 jars of Muir Glen Garlic Roasted Garlic organic spag sauce to save time.
3. Her recipe also calls for sautee’d veggies, we skipped this step and went with a more traditional lasagna. If you want to include veggies:
Her recipe calls for chopping 1 sweet onion, 1 large red pepper, 2 small zucchini, 1 cup of cremini mushrooms, and minced 3 garlic cloves.
4. Boil the lasagna noodles.
5. Layer your lasagna as you wish. We went with sauce, noodles, cheese, mozz cheese, sauce, noodles, cheese. Our local store was OUT OF DAIYA so we gave Follow Your Heart a try and had to shred it at home. Not too bad, but I am a Daiya snob so next time I will be sure to use that.
6. Bake in the oven at 400 for 40-45 minutes.
7. Allow to sit, uncovered for 5-10 minutes.
The rain has returned to Oregon, so for lunch today I craved something hearty.
But I had a problem…I only had one hamburger bun.
Soon, a smile crept in and I decided it would be National Vegan Junk Food Day in my house, and at that very moment.
WARNING: This is not a fancy recipe. It’s a bachelor version. Heat, serve, stuff.
- 2 Vegan burgers (my fav are currently sold at Fred Meyer)
- 2 slices of Daiya Vegan Cheese slices
- 4-6 slices of Tofurkey Bacon Tempeh
- ONE BUN
- Condiments of choice.
1. Grill your burgers on the grill and add bacon slices about half way through.
2. Add the Daiya when the burgers are just about ready. I used an electric grill, so I had to hold the lid down close to the cheese so the heat would melt it, but not too close that it stuck.
3. Once the cheese is melted, build your burger!
4. Enjoy at once.