Not sure if you heard, but this past week our corner of the World got slammed with a pretty good winter storm. We wanted to make something super hearty and easy to reheat in the event we lost power. We never did (fortunately) but now we have a huge pot (not kidding, this recipe will feed 10+ people) of this amazing chowder!
- 1 5# bag red potatoes
- 3 cans organic yellow corn (we used the Field Day brand)
- one quart of vegan veggie broth (we used Pacific foods)
- 1 quart unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 2.8 oz. container vegan bacon bits
- 1 bag of mozzarella shreds
- 3 tbsp smart balance
- 2 cups nutritional yeast
- One container Tofutti sour cream
- 1 sweet onion
- Onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper (to taste)
- A giant pot (this is a huge recipe!)
- Dice then boil the red potatoes until soft. Drain.
- Sautee the onion.
- Add back to pot. Add Smart Balance and mash them.
- Add cashew milk and broth as continuing to mash.
- Add all remaining ingredients and season to taste.
- Garnish as desired before serving.
As with most chowders I have had, this seems to taste better after a night in the fridge. It should also freeze and store well.