This recipe is from one of Melanie’s fav blogs, Oh She Glows. Photos are mine from tonight’s cooking session!
Tonight Melanie whipped up some amazing vegan lasagna and I thought I owed my vegan friends a yummy recipe to get us through this cold, snowy snap in Portland.
This lasagna is amazing!
First, whip up your cashew cheese:
Yield: ~1 cup
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 30+ mins
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth or water (or more as needed)
- 1.5 cups fresh basil leaves (lightly packed)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (gives the cheese flavour)
- 3/4-1 tsp kosher salt (or to taste) + freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder (optional)
1. Drain and rinse soaked cashews. With the food processor turned on, drop in your garlic cloves and process until chopped. Add in the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth, scraping down the bowl as needed.
Preparing the Lasagna
2. We used 2 jars of Muir Glen Garlic Roasted Garlic organic spag sauce to save time.
3. Her recipe also calls for sautee’d veggies, we skipped this step and went with a more traditional lasagna. If you want to include veggies:
Her recipe calls for chopping 1 sweet onion, 1 large red pepper, 2 small zucchini, 1 cup of cremini mushrooms, and minced 3 garlic cloves.
4. Boil the lasagna noodles.
5. Layer your lasagna as you wish. We went with sauce, noodles, cheese, mozz cheese, sauce, noodles, cheese. Our local store was OUT OF DAIYA so we gave Follow Your Heart a try and had to shred it at home. Not too bad, but I am a Daiya snob so next time I will be sure to use that.
6. Bake in the oven at 400 for 40-45 minutes.
7. Allow to sit, uncovered for 5-10 minutes.