So last year I purchased a 1993 Land Cruiser FZJ80 in Bend. The vehicle was in really good shape, but as a dedicated family overlanding rig, I was concerned for reliability for a 25 year old vehicle with over 260,000 miles.
Last January I decided to pull the motor out and do a complete rebuild.
I pulled the engine out in my shop at home with countless tools, about 300 ziploc bags, and the help of dear friends.
After the first night, I had the front clip and hood off with some engine components.
For organization, I used the aforementioned baggies and also a ton of blue masking tape with letters written on them. The other end of the hose/item would have the corresponding letter so I knew where everything connected later.
As far as installs go, this was certainly one of the easiest. I even considered not doing an install writeup at all. But in the end, the final product is really awesome, and I hope more people will consider this system for their JKs!
I have been stalling on any additional upgrades for my axles, as I ponder the upgrade to one tons. So until then, and aside from the current build, I am trying not to upgrade anything. So when my rig developed a weird squeaking (believed to be a bent shaft), friends suggested I replace my stock shafts with another set of stock ones a buddy had laying around.
I always wanted to add hydro assist to my Jeep but questioned the PSC kit’s price point. Being a simple system I figured others would work just as well or better. Enter Redneck Ram from West Texas Offroad.
I found myself once again calling my buddy Dirk to help lend his expertise with this somewhat complicated install.
This was a two day install, as we could only work nights.
First things first, we put the Jeep on the lift, removed the front driver tire/wheel, tie rod, and sway bar links. We also removed the pitman arm from the drag link (leaving the passenger side connected).
Today with friends Chad and Dirk, we installed a Synergy Tie Rod and Sector Shaft brace kit into Chad’s 2007 Jeep JK. This was a great project, so I decided to do an install on it, hopefully to help any other Jeepers with their own future installs.
Remove factory components: We ended up removing the track bar, sway bar links, driver’s side coil, and drag link. We also removed the driver’s side shock, to help with coil removal.
2. Remove the four factory bolts that hold the steering box in place. Be sure to leave one barely threaded, or have a friend ready to catch and hold the steering box! These are the only bolts holding it in place. Remove the pitman arm nut (keep the washer handy!).
I was one of the early adopters of the “bedlined grille” look. My OEM paint was chipping from winter road debris, and I just thought it made sense to have a durable, easy to repaint grille coating on the front of the Jeep. However, when it came to repaint it this Summer I got the great idea to use a new, polyurethane liner and totally messed it up.
This is a VERY involved install that will require exhaust configurations, trips to the tool store, modifications, Jeep friends, and beer. This is NOT a quick “bolt-up” installation as I thought it would be. Understand that – you may require multiple days to get it done right.
This was one of the most significant installs I have done on my Jeep.
With the Jeep sitting on a new suspension of Evo Long Arms and King Coilovers, the time was rapidly approaching for a new driveline. The immediate priority was the front, which I ordered from Northridge, choosing a 1310 made by Coast.
Install was easy and relatively pain free. This is for a manual transmission Jeep JK.
Now that my build is pretty established, with the long arm kit, coil overs, and new 37s I figured it was time to start thinking about ways to save money and improve some trail functionality.
One of the areas I have been interested in was the tuner market. On a recent visit to 4 Wheel Parts in Portland, I decided to pick up a Bully Dog GT Platinum tuner. I will write an actual review of this unit after I spend some time with it.
The install had some gotchas, so I thought I’d write a more detailed install, to help others save time.
It goes without saying that us Jeep owners are a pretty easy target when it comes to burglars. In the winter, most of us run a fabric top that can easily be cut, and in the summer with tops and doors removed, we make it even easier.
I have had my eye on Bestop’s Underseat Storage box for quite some time, but was confused as some retailers said it would fit in my 2013 Unlimited, and others said it would not work with fold and tumble. So today I purchased one and installed it.