One of my favorite mods for the Jeep is armor. I don’t think having a super capable rig is all that important if you slide off a rock and slam open your oil pan/transmission/diff cover/transfer case/gas tank/etc.
So the Artec Axle Armor Kit has been on my wish list for some time now for the following reasons:
- Appealing design will allow me to upgrade the actual axle in the future, where sleeves really limit this;
- Price point ($249)
- Ability to order from Northridge 4×4 (free overnight shipping)
- I feel the truss design is stronger than a sleeve/gusset approach.
I ordered the kit in the Summer, and stalled on the installation. This was purely due to cost and the PITA factor. I would need to remove the entire axle, put it in our Ford Fiesta, and drive it to a shop to be welded in.
This kit is amazing because:
- It is built of SOLID, thick steel plating
- Had amazing tolerances for fit
- Includes some great armor: Front LCAs, Gussets, AND the truss
The only real downside to installing this kit is the fact it needs to be welded in by a competent welder. This is due in large part to the metals on the axle – the cast on the pumpkin has some sensitive welding needs.
But that downside is not due to Artec, it is just the nature of the beast!